[Fedora-packaging] Can multiple packages built from same source?

Lin Gao lgao at redhat.com
Mon May 28 12:26:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

BR
Lin Gao

On 05/25/2012 06:10 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> Quoting Lin Gao (2012-05-25 10:07:08)
>> Hi,
>>
>>       We have a package already built in Fedora called: ironjacamar,
>> which only produces several core jars used by JBoss AS 7. We also want
>> to built a ironjacamar standalone environment which can make the
>> ironjacamar running without JBoss AS 7 environment, but this standalone
>> environment has different libraries than JBoss AS 7 has. So we plan to
>> built a overall new package called: ironjacamar-standalone, which
>> produces the ironjacamar standalone environment, it will use the same
>> source as the package: ironjacamar uses.  I want to know if it is
>> approved in Fedora?
> Have you contacted ironjacamar maintainer?
I am contacting with him.
> I assume ironjacamar produces
> only some of the jars required by JBoss AS7, because building additional
> jars would need more dependencies. In order to simplify packaging: these
> were skipped.
Yes, I am aware of that. I am building the missing dependencies now,
there are only 3 dependencies left needed for ironjacamar standalone
environment.

> I don't know the details, but I believe going for a subpackage approach
> would be better. Getting in touch with ironjacamar maintainers is needed
> in any case.
>
> Or maybe I misunderstood and you say ironjacamar-standalone is meant to
> be used without requiring several jboss packages? Even in that case a
> subpackages could be done in a way to have simple dependencies for one
> subpackage and main package just having subpackage in Requires.

ironjacamar-standalone uses some *shared* libraries as JBoss AS 7 and
some libraries used only by ironjacamar-standalone itself, like: papaki,
fungal.

Thank you for the advices !