[Fedora-packaging] is /etc/cron.*/* config file?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 22:39:10 UTC 2012

Tom Callaway (tcallawa at redhat.com) said:
> On 11/05/2012 05:32 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> > Lets have this rpmlint error:
> > hylafax+.x86_64: E: executable-marked-as-config-file
> > /etc/cron.daily/hylafax
> >
> > My question is: Is /etc/cron.*/* files config file or not?
> >
> > We have both precedence in Fedora. E.g package cups do not mark
> > /etc/cron.daily/cups as config file, but package tmpwatch mark
> > /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch as config file.
>
> I think (just my opinion), that anything under /etc is a config file
> unless there is a very very good reason for it not to be.

That being said, if it's an executable binary (possible in cron.daily),
it's pointless to mark it as such.

The question for something like cron.* things - is it intended to support
admin modifications (and/or removal, in the 'missingok' case)? If so, it
should be %config. If not... I can see removing it.

Bill