[Fedora-packaging] How important is %{_libdir} to arch-specific but non-multilib packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 18:13:00 UTC 2012

In discussing the new Java Guidelines, we've run into the question of
whether arch-sepcific but non-multilib packages need to use %{_libdir} for
files or if they can be placed in %{_prefix}/lib/ on all arches.  Although
this is a question brought to the fore by java, it also has bearing on other
situations.  For instance, this fesco ticket:
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/969

could also be affected by this question.  (as noted by rdieter here:
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/158#comment:3
)

Although we could grant a special case exception just for java, I think that
would be unfair.  Making this decision on the more generic level and
applying it to java, systemd, and other packages makes more sense to me.

So what are thoughts on allowing both 32bit and 64bit binaries into
%{_prefix}/lib if those binaries are not part of a package that will be
%multilib'd?

-Tosio