[Fedora-packaging] Should {NEWS, CHANGELOG, README, etc} go into main package or -doc subpackage?

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 15:56:37 UTC 2012

+1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rex Dieter" <rdieter at math.unl.edu>
To: packaging at lists.fedoraproject.org
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 10:10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Should {NEWS, CHANGELOG, README, etc} go into main package or -doc subpackage?

On 09/10/2012 08:46 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody clarify where should go the files mentioned in $SUBJECT if
> the package provides a -doc subpackage? It is obvious that the LICENSE
> file must go into the main package, but what about the others? There are
> packages, which has the $SUBJECT files in main package, but I think they
> should go into -doc subpackage. What else wold be the -doc subpackage
> purpose then?
>
> BTW it would be nice if the guidelines could be clarified regarding this
> issue.

true the existing basic guideline:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Documentation

doesn't explicitly cover that case.  I'd tend to defer this to the
packagers' best judgment.

My own personal opinion is that README (and the others mentioned to a
lesser degree) are generally essential so should be included in the main
package (unless -doc is not optional, ie, is pulled in by main package
dependencies)

-- rex