[Fedora-packaging] Using upstream unusual package name

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Sep 25 10:15:54 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 09:30 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:42:23PM +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> --- On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Truong Anh. Tuan
>> <tuanta at iwayvietnam.com> wrote:
>> | Please read Naming Guidelines [1] carefully.
>> | As you see, "star" (*) character is not allowed in Fedora package name.
>> \--
>>
>> I had referred to:
>>
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/brainfuck
>>
> Ah... so you're actually refering to the obscenity in the package name?
> That's a good question.  We generally want to keep things "family friendly"
> but in this case both the program and the programming language it implements
> have that name.  I'd lean towards allowing it but you might want to open
> a ticket here and the full FPC can consider it:

So do I. It's how its parents have named their child. We may like it or
not, nevertheless, Fedora should react as grown-ups and respect their
choice, unless the name would be illegal in juristictions applicable to
Fedora.

That said, I can only guess on the reasons for their choice, probably
they haven't quite quit puberty and "find it cool" or they mean their
choice as some sort of provocation/attention-teaser.

The later would mean, if Fedora is taking special means, Fedora went
into the trap they set up. - IMO, they should be treated with the amount
of attention they deserve: An arbitrary package amongst 1000s of others ;)

Ralf