[Fedora-packaging] Web server conf selection

Jan Kaluža jkaluza at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 05:28:48 UTC 2013

On 04/09/2013 02:10 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 04/09/2013 09:39 AM, Jan Kaluža wrote:
>> On 04/08/2013 02:28 AM, Christopher Meng wrote:
>>> Do we really use -core as name of it?
>>
>> We have to have some name for the original web application without any
>> webserver dependency. Ideally, we would just use the package name
>> (like "mailman") and "mailman-httpd" for httpd related config files,
>> but this can't be done, because we should keep backward compatibility.
>> However, it could be preferred way for newly added packages.
>
> Or skip that backwards compatibility and just have a flag release with
> all those changes.

How would upgrade work then? If I understand it well, RPM would update
just "mailman" package, so the httpd config files would be removed
(since they would be in "mailman-httpd" and this won't be "mailman"'s
dependency). User would have to install -httpd subpakage manually. I
think this is not OK, but maybe it's not problem to do it like that and
it is me who is wrong :).