[Fedora-packaging] Web server conf selection

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Thu Apr 11 07:38:35 UTC 2013

Le 11/04/2013 07:24, Jan Kaluža a écrit :
> On 04/10/2013 08:21 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> We have to have some name for the original web application without any
>>> webserver dependency. Ideally, we would just use the package name (like
>>> "mailman") and "mailman-httpd" for httpd related config files, but this
>>> can't be done, because we should keep backward compatibility. However,
>>> it could be preferred way for newly added packages.

I think having a default browser configuration in the main package is
not a problem. Apache is the default browser for most web apps for years.

>> you just need to have something like
>> foo-httpd (some EVR) requires foo = same EVR
>> foo-httpd (some EVR) obsoletes foo <= first EVR with new layout
>>

> Thanks, that sounds like good idea. I will try to get it work here and
> update my feature page.

Don't forget user experience.

A user running "yum install mailman" expects to install something
working out of the box (without any need to install something else)

So, if really you want the main package to provide only non-webserver
dependent files, you probably need to requires it

ex mailman requires mailman-webconf
   mailman-{httpd,nginx,lighttpd} requires mailman-webconf

Another solution will be to provides all webservers configuration on the
main package and only requires webserver. But this is a bit ugly, as we
can't be sure it will work with all servers.

Remi.