[Fedora-packaging] Static UIDs and GIDs

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 19:54:51 UTC 2013

=?UTF-8?B?IkrDs2hhbm4gQi4gR3XDsG11bmRzc29uIg==?= <johannbg at gmail.com> writes:
> On 04/11/2013 06:57 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> We (the FPC) would love to have feedback on the draft and comments to help
>> iron out issues that it may cause.

> Based on experience storing system related uid's and gid's in ldap is a
> bad idea ( what happens if you cant reach your ldap )

Yeah, it's a bad idea that the draft even *suggests* that admins might
try to define system UIDs via LDAP.  That tends to result in services
failing to start at boot.  In general, any service that systemd knows
about had better have a locally-defined uid/gid IMO.  I'm not sure this
has any material impact on the draft overall, but can we modify or take
out that wording?

			regards, tom lane