[Fedora-packaging] Static UIDs and GIDs

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Apr 17 08:25:01 UTC 2013

Le Mer 17 avril 2013 03:21, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 02:26:00PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>
>> Le Jeu 11 avril 2013 20:57, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
>> > The FPC has recently been looking at a draft revision of the UID and
>> Group
>> > handling: https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/269
>>
>> IMHO, it should explicitly state the ranges reserved for allocation by
>> local admins and by third-party repositories (like /opt, /srv,
>> /usr/local
>> for filesystems)
>>
>> That's the only way to make sure our choices do not terminally conflict
>> with those made by others.
>>
> At the moment, I don't think we have such a range.  Does that sound
> accurate?
>
> We have several choices if we start considering doing that:
[…]
> * Punt -- the sysadmin is already able to allocate their local range
>   anywhere that isn't in the < 1000 range.  Sites will differ but it's not
>   for us to decide.

IMHO we need to stop looking backwards for UID allocation. Lack of past
rules should not justify lack of future rules, the situation is never
going to sort itself without some proactive thinking. All the arguments
against specifying any range would have applied as-is when the FHS was
written, yet a decade later the FHS has been widely adopted and we are all
very happy someone took the time to write some rules in the FHS despite
the (then) filesystem mess.

--
Nicolas Mailhot