[Fedora-packaging] Package naming guidelines

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Aug 17 02:44:50 UTC 2013

> Bad timing as weekend has arrived for many, but please, I would appreciate
> comments on this one *and* the earlier feedback in the ticket:
>
>    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679
>    -> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679#c14

Executive summary:

In https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679 the package maintainer of SFML
requests the SFML package to be renamed from SFML to sfml.

I told him this would violated the FPG, because packages are supposed to
be named to after the tarball. However he continues to insist on this
renamer and sent comment https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679#c14 in
response to make unmisunderstandibly clear that he leave me no choice
but to reject his package rename request.

>> Ralf Corsepius 2013-08-16 11:56:46 EDT
>>
>> You are forcing me to do something I've never done in Fedora before:
>>
>> (With my FPC-member hat on) This rename request violates the FPG,
>> because the upstream zip-ball is called SFML,
>> Source0:        http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/sfml/%{version}/SFML-%{version}-sources.zip
>> It therefore MUST NOT be ACCEPTED.
> --

Ralf