[Fedora-packaging] Schedule for Thursday's FPC Meeting (2013-08-29 16:00 UTC)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Aug 29 08:57:49 UTC 2013

Le Jeu 29 août 2013 01:11, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :

>> #topic #336 	Please clarify the General Naming Guidelines for packages
>> .fpc 336
>> https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/336

BTW Fedora font packages allow lowercase naming only.

The notion that tarball naming reflects in any accurate way upstream
preferences is as weird as it comes. Are we supposed to rename packages
every time upstream slightly changes its tarball naming? (as every project
that did not automate its release process commonly does?)

Moreover, our naming guidelines already mandate scores of adjustments to
try to make some sort of coherent repository of upstreams with wildly
different whims. Allowing mixed casing just sows confusion and induces new
packager mistakes (that they sorely regret once they can not change the
naming easily anymore).

Finally, if you want to strictly follow upstream choices please allow
unicode and not just base latin in package names. Arguing about case when
one can not even use upstream letters is a joke.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot