[Fedora-packaging] Proposal for Python guidelines change (in connection to Python 3 switch)

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Dec 4 11:35:28 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 12/04/2013 11:51 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > as you probably know, the "Python 3 as a Default" [1] change has been
> > accepted by FESCo and is currently targeted for F22.
> > As a part of that Change, I also wrote that we should rethink some aspects
> > of Python packaging in Fedora. I have put together a proposal that
> > summarizes the current state and proposes a new approach to Python
> > packaging [2]
> > Before I propose it to FPC, I'd like to discuss it and work on it here on
> > lists and incorporate everybody's notes/suggestions.
> > So thanks for reading this through and sending your comments.
>
> You are missing that "Provides" in your examples.

I didn't put them there intentionally, since I think it would be best if RPM created these automatically.

> And I would emphasize
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Renaming.2FReplacing_Existing_Packages
> and even put in to your guidelines example. Because a lot of maintainers
> forgot this.
> Something like:
>
> Be sure to correctly (replace
> package)[http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Renaming.2FReplacing_Existing_Packages).
>
> # first version where binary python2-foo replaced python-foo
> %global old_version 1.23
>
> %package -n python2-foo
> Provides: python-foo = %{version}-%{release}
> Obsoletes: python-foo < %{old_version}

As noted above, the Provides should IMO be generated by RPM. I'm however quite sure that this is not an option for Obsoletes... Maybe we would need to add the obsoletes for one or two releases manually and then remove them...

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.