[Fedora-packaging] Ada guidelines changes for Comfignat and runpaths

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Dec 8 17:36:17 UTC 2013

Pavel Zhukov wrote:
> On Thursday, December 05, 2013 11:12:41 PM Björn Persson wrote:
> > Comfignat is a new build system built around the GNAT tools and
> > designed to make packaging easy. The RPM macro Comfignat_make
> > handles building a Comfignat-using package with the right
> > configuration for Fedora. This macro needs to be mentioned in the
> > Ada guidelines.
>
> Is comfignat packaged in Fedora?

Comfignat consists of a generic makefile foundation and a template of an
abstract GNAT project that will be bundled with the source packages
that use it. The files need to be in the source tree so that Make will
find them, so there's no point in packaging Comfignat.

Comfignat is here by the way, for anyone who is interested:
https://www.rombobjörn.se/Comfignat/

> Is anyone going to use it?

I've been helping Tero Koskinen to remake Ahven's build system around
Comfignat, and he says he'll make a new release soon. I want to package
Ahven to be able to run the test suites of Anet, Alog and the Trusted
Key Manager. Anet is already packaged but without a %check section.

I also use Comfignat in some projects of my own that will hopefully be
ready to be packaged some day.

> > A macro named GNAT_add_rpath can be defined in spec files to allow a
> > runpath to be added, for example in test suites or auxiliary
> > programs that aren't installed but run during the build. This
> > should also be explained in the Ada guidelines.
>
> Is it really needed?  We can use LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the %check
> section to make it.  For example matreshka works fine with it.

You can do it that way if it works for you. The GNAT_add_rpath
mechanism is there if you need it. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
"%{buildroot}/%{_libdir}" is reasonably clean. templates_parser.spec does
«LD_LIBRARY_PATH="`pwd`/.build/native/release/relocatable/lib/" make doc».
In that case the spec file must know the internal structure of the
build directory just to work around a problem that Gnatmake_optflags
has introduced, which is a bit messy. GNAT_add_rpath would be a cleaner
solution there.

Björn Persson