[Fedora-packaging] -javadoc and -doc packages with Requires

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 13:49:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:10:27 +0100, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:

> >>   # repoquery --whatprovides /usr/share/javadoc
> >>   javapackages-tools-0:3.4.1-1.fc20.noarch
> >>   javapackages-tools-0:3.4.1-1.fc20.noarch
> >
> > So now you know why they require javapackages-tools (jpackage-utils). They
> > mostly need if for directory ownership
>
> Maybe they could co-own the directory instead of requiring javapackages-tools.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#The_directory_is_owned_by_a_package_which_is_not_required_for_your_package_to_function

Exactly my thought. That part of the guideline is rather new (2012/2013),
so it's likely that the javadoc packaging guidelines just need an update.

Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:

> > Besides there are probably still a lot of javadoc packages that pull in main package.

Which asks for an update to the guidelines. We need to start somewhere.
Sure, it'll be low-priority stuff, but it's really more convenient if
documentation can be installed without pulling in a huge dep-chain.