[Fedora-packaging] Packaging guidelines for packaging Cron Jobs in the distribution

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:41:51 UTC 2013

Greetings

I have been looking into cron jobs in the distribution and I noticed
that there dont seem to be any packaging guidelines for packaging cron
jobs in the distribution.

More or less every package that ships cron jobs does not require Cronie
which arguably it should, however only few packages actually strictly
need cron ( logwatch,leafnote etc ) while the majority of them are more
or less small administration task that can be triggered manually by the
user/administrator thus not strictly required by the component.

Before I start providing patches to fix this I need to know what is the
correct way to move forward as in...

Should the requirement on Cronie be added to the spec file?

or

Should those cron-jobs be package in a separate sub package which would
depend on Cronie?

Thanks
             JBG