[Fedora-packaging] Directory ownership question

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 8 11:55:17 UTC 2013

On 01/08/2013 11:50 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 12:44:56PM +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>>> In this case it means that bugs should be filed against at least evince and
>>> totem (I only checked these two) who have files in this directory but do not own
>>> it.
>> Or file a RFE against filesystem to include  %{_datadir}/thumbnailers
>
> This is the alternative
Exactly.

The general rule of thumb is: Either all packages putting something into
a directory must own it or all packages must have a common dependency
owning the directory.

The "one common parent package" approach is easier to use. The
"everybody must own" approach is more general, clearer, more flexible
and less error prone approach.

I am clearly in favor of the later.

> and the reason why I asked Christophe to start the
> discussion here :)

Ralf