[Fedora-packaging] How to restart services after upgrade?

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 14:42:14 UTC 2013

With recent discussion about FedoraUpgrade I would like to question our
scriptlets:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Macroized_scriptlets_.28Fedora_18.2B.29

What we basically do right now is in %postun call condrestart if package
is upgrading.

This actually means that new code is stopping old deamon. While this
usually works, I seen some case during my life, where it caused some
problems.
Isn't more correct solution in %pre section to stop deamon, make note
somewhere that daemon was stopped, let rpm upgrade package and in
%postun section to start the service if it was stopped in %pre?

This is theoretical question right now, because the part "make note
somewhere" probably could not be implemented right now.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering