[Fedora-packaging] packaging in a nutshell

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Mon Jan 28 12:37:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:24:30PM +0100, Dan Horák wrote:
> Rudra Banerjee píše v Po 28. 01. 2013 v 11:08 +0000:
> > Dear friends,
> > I am new to this mailing list and trying to be included in the packagers
> > group. I have read the (vast) documentation and not sure, if I have read
> > it to complete understanding.
> > So, to do a package review, what should I need to do?
> >
> > 1) check if this matches Fedora Guide for naming the package.
> > 2) whether it includes "good" certificates
> > 3) run rpmlint
> > 4) run mock
> > (or instead of 3 & 4, run fedora-review)
> >
> > Is this the basic steps or I am still missing something very important?
>
> - for a review you need to follow
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process#Reviewer
> - you need to understand
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines relevant for the reviewed package
> - the individual checks done in the review are described at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ReviewGuidelines
>
> fedora-review is only a tool, without the knowledge it makes little
> sense

I very big +1 on this one, although I am one of the original author of the tool,
it has always been meant as a tool to help not to replace the knowledge of the
reviewer/packager.

fedora-review is there, it helps but by far it is exhaustive of all situations,
even checked boxes needs to be re-reviewed by the reviewer/packager.

And please, avoid running fedora-review, post its output on the bugzilla without
checking and showing that you did more than just running the tool (which I have
seen already a number of times).

Pierre