[Fedora-packaging] Issue packaging python lib into RPM due to conflicting __init__.py

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 18:48:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 09:20:47 -0700, Braddock wrote:

> file /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/backports/__init__.py from
> install of backports.lzma-0.0.2-1.armv7hl conflicts with file from
> package python-backports-ssl_match_hostname-3.2-0.3.a3.fc18.noarch

This means that both packages contain a file in that path, and either the
file checksum or the file permissions are not the same.

> I am uncertain how to resolve this.  Is there a way for an RPM to only
> create the backports/__init__.py file if it does not already exist?

No. When you create these packages, _you_ need to ensure that they
don't include conflicting files. How do those __init__.py files differ
in those multiple packages? Is it only a matter of different versions
of the backports module? Remember, you've got full control over the
package %{buildroot} at build-time, so you could delete files you don't
want and which are included in a separate (shared!) package already.

> There are a number of packages which would want to live under the
> backports/ module.

That's okay, but it's not okay if they all contain a differing
backports/__init__.py file.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.8-300.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.08 0.05 0.05