[Fedora-packaging] How to deal with the porn part of a package?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 08:15:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat.com> wrote:

> [100% personal opinion here...]
>
> Most packages in Fedora could be used to do something that someone in
> any culture could find offensive.  There are sub-cultures in the USA
> that consider porn offensive, yet this is where we push "freedom" the
> most.  Emacs can be used to write anti-pick-a-religion propoganda.
> OOcalc can be used to design terrorist bombs.  Where do we draw the
> line?  Answer: we don't.  We let the users draw the line for
> themselves.

Object oriented programming and the use of "maven" instead of "make"
often offend me. And the use of SSH and GPG offends national security
agencies that monitor civilian communications. Spammers don't like the
spam filtering software, and I still rememeber when the old "Satan"
service monitoring software had a setting that renamed it "Santa". And
numerous violent games are included in the "Everything" Fedora
repository, so yes, there is material already there that may be
considered "offensive" or inappropriate for an enterprise environment.

However, this package is being published in Fedora EPEL, which is
aimed at Red Hat Enterprise Linux users. So some thought is a good
idea. By itself, it does *not* contain porn, although the names of
some of its modules are rather rude.

>   "That way, anyone can use any of our work for their own purposes,"
>
> Further, the bug report mentions "an enterprise class operating
> system" but Fedora is definitely not targetting that role, so that
> assumption is simply invalid.

That caught my eye, too, but itls in Fedora EPEL.

The obviously naughty bits can be RPM bundled as "youtubd-dl-adult",
for example.