[Fedora-packaging] Setting CFLAGS when building python packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:14:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 04:27:42PM +0200, Sergio Pascual wrote:
> At the wiki page you mention, CFLAGS only appear in an example box about
> packaging python3. If this a guideline, it is very well hidden. It should be
> explicit.
>
> Furthermore, "python setup.py build" runs with the RPM CFLAGS even if you don't
> set the variable. Setting it mereley doubles the flags.

Standard practice is to set CFLAGS.  However, it has been true for quite
a long while that distutils (python setup.py build/install) utilizes the
CFLAGS that were used to build python itself.  It shouldn't hurt to have
settting it explicitly in the spec file and I believe the order the explicit
CFLAGS are used allows you to override the flags if needed so it may be
a good hint to packagers that stumble across that for the first time.

-Toshio