[Fedora-packaging] Web Assets/JavaScript guideline drafts

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 16:32:12 UTC 2013

I'm getting rather sick of doing this by the seat of my pants and
arguing about various details in reviews, so it's high time something
got done about this.  Plus, were working hard to actually get some JS
libraries (like jQuery, finally!) packaged properly, so it would be
nice to have some guidelines so that we can package them...properly.

So, down the rabbit hole we go...

I've drafted some JavaScript guidelines:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Patches/PackagingDrafts/JavaScript

And some guidelines for the other various shareable bits that aren't JavaScript:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Patches/PackagingDrafts/Web_Assets

And finally a F20 Change proposal that outlines the engineering component:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Web_Assets

The most notable difference between these and previous efforts is that
I decided to go with One JavaScript Directory to Rule Them All.
Debian has already gone this route and I think it's much simpler than
the previous notion of requiring Apache configs for every JS library
under the sun.  This way it's simple enough so it works with *any*
HTTP daemon.

I hope to submit the Change proposal to the Feature Wrangler/FESCo and
the drafts to FPC soonish, but I'd very much like to get some feedback
first.  I'm sure there missing several details and could use some love
in certain areas, so please let me know what you think.  (And feel
free to edit if necessary, it's a wiki after all!)

Thanks!
-T.C.