[Fedora-packaging] Web Assets/JavaScript guideline drafts

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Thu Jul 11 08:16:15 UTC 2013

Le 10/07/2013 18:32, T.C. Hollingsworth a écrit :
> I'm getting rather sick of doing this by the seat of my pants and
> arguing about various details in reviews, so it's high time something
> got done about this.  Plus, were working hard to actually get some JS
> libraries (like jQuery, finally!) packaged properly, so it would be
> nice to have some guidelines so that we can package them...properly.
>
> So, down the rabbit hole we go...
>
> I've drafted some JavaScript guidelines:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Patches/PackagingDrafts/JavaScript
>
> And some guidelines for the other various shareable bits that aren't JavaScript:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Patches/PackagingDrafts/Web_Assets
>
> And finally a F20 Change proposal that outlines the engineering component:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Web_Assets
>
> The most notable difference between these and previous efforts is that
> I decided to go with One JavaScript Directory to Rule Them All.
> Debian has already gone this route and I think it's much simpler than
> the previous notion of requiring Apache configs for every JS library
> under the sun.  This way it's simple enough so it works with *any*
> HTTP daemon.

/usr/share/assets => /assets
/usr/share/javascript => /assets/javascript

This seems a bit ugly...

Could web server configuration be included in web-assets package ?
Have you a proposal for the change required in the web server package ?
(for ex, I don't think lighttpd enable alias by default and afaik global
alias are not managed by nginx)

While I mostly agree on "it must be compiled or minified as part of the
RPM build process", I think we're going to enter nightmare.

Minify is often done with non-open source stuff (such as jsmin).
But build is not only minify, could requires more complex stuff (merging
various sources).

Some use a Rakefile but requires some very old gem (prockets iirc).

About /assets/javascript/foo URI.

Sometime using an app specific alias is a simpler solution, especially
when the html is generated, patching the source could be not so simple.

Ex horde : http://localhost/horde will use
http://localhost/horde/js/ckeditor, so a trivial solution is

Alias /horde/js/ckeditor          /usr/share/ckeditor

Remi.