[Fedora-packaging] Two packages that want to own the same parent directory

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 16:30:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:53:37AM -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I have two separate pieces of Python code (one pure Python, one that is
>     C++ code that has a Swigged Python binding) that each want to live in a
>     package named qpid. (they're both Python bindings for the Qpid project)
>
>     Is it possible to have two different packages (they're not subpackages
>     of some other package) live in a directory like
>     /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qpid without either one explicitly
>     owning the directory qpid? A user can potentially install one or both.
>     Their code will all live inside of subdirectories of qpid (either
>     messaging or messagingc).
>
>     How do I handle that from a packaging perspective?
>

> If nothing else owns that dir, they both should.

+1.  There may also be the need for some package to provide an __init__.py
for that directory.  This may lead to the need to have a package which just
creates the namespace (the directory and __init__.py) that the other two
packages Require.

Also, if these are from the same upstream and provide the same API just that
one is an extension and the other is pure python, you might ask upstream to
consider looking at making the choice between the two modules transparent to
the user.  simplejson is an example of doing that from third-party modules
in python2.