[Fedora-packaging] systemd and privileged ports

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Thu Jul 18 09:21:25 UTC 2013

Hi,

In my blog the other day, I noted that upcoming versions of my package
will be able to bind on port 443 (to provide TLS protected SIP over
WebSockets)

I've made upstream changes so the process can be started as root and
drop privileges after binding.

Somebody commented that I can use systemd to create the socket though.
Looking at the man pages very briefly, I have the impression that this
is only relevant to processes that spawn a new process to handle each
client and that processes handling multiple clients can't take advantage
of this.

Is that correct?  Or can systemd pass in a listening socket that has not
received any connection yet?

Regards,

Daniel