[Fedora-packaging] Binary in libxxx package

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 14:51:17 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging a library, but the problem is that this package will
> generate a binary of its implementation.
>
> I think libxxx packages should only contain .so.*/.h files, and I
> cannot put it into devel package, so can I put it into main package? I
> don't want to create a subpackage for this file.
>
> Thanks.

Is there some reason it shouldn't be:

     package (with the binary)
     libpackage (with the library)

And, if necessary for managing components of the library, put in:

     Requires: package

in the libary part of the .spec file? And what requires the binary
after the library is installed.

In other words, what is the package?