[Fedora-packaging] RFE: Documentation packages - no base package dependency

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Mon Jun 10 09:53:28 UTC 2013

Quoting Michael Schwendt (2013-06-10 09:22:31)
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Documentation
>
> Proposed addition to the guidelines:
>
>     Independent documentation -doc packages typically don't require the
>     base package. It should be possible to install documentation without
>     having to install a program and all its dependencies.
>
> Rationale: Recently, in package review requests, I've seen packagers apply
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Requiring_Base_Package
> also to -doc packages. And there are packages in the collection, which
> do that, too. This is a hindrance, especially if one only wants to peruse
> the documentation or install API documentation for remote developing.
> Of course, an exception to this is documentation in a special format,
> which can only be viewed within an application.
>
> Thoughts?

I know I know...Java has to be special case so our -doc packages are called
-javadoc. Can we somehow make the wording a bit more generic? (getting rid of
"-doc")

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241