[Fedora-packaging] arched BuildRequires?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 18:30:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:09:29 +0200, Mattias Ellert wrote:

> tor 2013-06-13 klockan 17:34 +0200 skrev Simone Caronni:
>

> > Exactly, here an example of a Koji build done with _isa'ed
> > BuildRequires (taken from the link I've posted before):
> >
> > $ rpm -qpR libguac-client-vnc-0.6.0-4.fc17.src.rpm
> > cairo-devel(x86-64)
> > gnutls-devel(x86-64)
> > libguac-devel(x86-64) = 0.6.0
> > libvncserver-devel(x86-64)
> > rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
> > rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
> >
> > This means I can't rebuild the src.rpm on an i686. This is wrong.
>
> If what you say above was true it would be a problem. But it doesn't
> work like that.

True, it doesn't really work like that, but %_isa in BuildRequires
adds a confusing problem nevertheless.

BuildRequires in the spec file become the src.rpm's Requires.
If those Requires are arch-specific, you cannot use tools like
yum-builddep or "rpm" to query the package's build requirements.
You would need to reconstruct the src.rpm always for the target
arch (not only if there are arch-conditional BuildRequires).

The src.rpm is built on an arbitrary build host, and Fedora publishes
a single src.rpm build in the sources repo. It's just lame if the user
of an x86_64 installation downloads src.rpm packages, which contain
x86-32, ppc or other arch-specific dependencies. That doesn't add any
value at all.

> $ rpmbuild --rebuild globus-common-14.9-3.fc18.src.rpm

That doesn't evaluate the src.rpm's Requires as yum-builddep or "rpm -qpR" do.
So, why obfuscate the BuildRequires and the src.rpm's Requires?

> ... build succeeds ... because the BRs needed on the build system's architecture are there

Nasty, isn't it? The package specifies '(x86-32)' requirements, but you've
just built for '(x86-64)'.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.4-301.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.17 0.08 0.06