[Fedora-packaging] arched BuildRequires?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:07:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:26:59 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > The src.rpm is built on an arbitrary build host, and Fedora publishes
> > a single src.rpm build in the sources repo. It's just lame if the user
> > of an x86_64 installation downloads src.rpm packages, which contain
> > x86-32, ppc or other arch-specific dependencies. That doesn't add any
> > value at all.
> >
> >> $ rpmbuild --rebuild globus-common-14.9-3.fc18.src.rpm
> >
> > That doesn't evaluate the src.rpm's Requires as yum-builddep or "rpm -qpR" do.
> > So, why obfuscate the BuildRequires and the src.rpm's Requires?
>
> No, rpmbuild does not use src.rpm requires for determining
> build-requires because they're no good for that.

But yum-builddep does evaluate them.

> The requires of src.rpm
> only reflect what build-requires were active during the creation of that
> specific src.rpm file,

Which is nearly what I've been preaching. "The spec file's BuildRequires
become the src.rpm's Requires" depending on the environment the src.rpm is
built within.

And why collect "what build-requires were active during the creation of that
specific src.rpm file" even when building a src.rpm with --nodeps?

> > Nasty, isn't it? The package specifies '(x86-32)' requirements, but you've
> > just built for '(x86-64)'.
> >

> See above, you're misunderstanding the meaning of src.rpm requires.

That's friendly from you. I think they don't serve a useful purpose,
if one must "recreate" them or ignore them in favour of working with
only the spec file contents.

--
Michael Schwendt
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64