[Fedora-packaging] arched BuildRequires?

Mattias Ellert mattias.ellert at fysast.uu.se
Fri Jun 14 13:39:13 UTC 2013

fre 2013-06-14 klockan 15:07 +0200 skrev Michael Schwendt:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:26:59 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>

> > No, rpmbuild does not use src.rpm requires for determining
> > build-requires because they're no good for that.
>
> But yum-builddep does evaluate them.

Then file a bug against yum-builddep for doing the wrong thing. That one
tool is using some metadata for what it was not intended to be used is
no argument for forcing the metadata to fit this tool at the expense of
creating huge breakages elsewhere.

> > The requires of src.rpm
> > only reflect what build-requires were active during the creation of that
> > specific src.rpm file,
>
> Which is nearly what I've been preaching. "The spec file's BuildRequires
> become the src.rpm's Requires" depending on the environment the src.rpm is
> built within.
>
> And why collect "what build-requires were active during the creation of that
> specific src.rpm file" even when building a src.rpm with --nodeps?

You are correct that the requires recorded in the srpm are not really
useful, and it is not usable for what you think it is usable. It might
be an idea to file a feature request to rpmbuild to not include these
requires in the srpm header, since it seems to just create confusion
what they represent and what they can and can not be used for. If they
were not there it would be obvious that they can not be used for
anything reasonable.

> > > Nasty, isn't it? The package specifies '(x86-32)' requirements, but you've
> > > just built for '(x86-64)'.

Which is not nasty at all, but what I expected to happen.

> > See above, you're misunderstanding the meaning of src.rpm requires.
>
> That's friendly from you. I think they don't serve a useful purpose,
> if one must "recreate" them or ignore them in favour of working with
> only the spec file contents.

	Mattias