[Fedora-packaging] FPC Meeting this week

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 01:05:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:23:02AM +0000, "J??hann B. Gu??mundsson" wrote:
> You mean the one that you guys somehow assumed I had more free time
> that you did ( I dont get paid to work on Fedora which means I
> spending what ever free time I have to work on various bits in the
> project ) and somehow expected me to write one because not everybody
> could attend and or vote on that meeting upon when it was discussed,
> You know the guy with poor English skills ( which means it would have
> to be rewritten by the fpc anyway ) and is not even packager as I
> mentioned on that meeting. + I have already tried that once before
> and that did not work out so well.
>
> In this case it's best that FPC spends it's free time settles on it.
> I have already been waiting for close to a 2 weeks for a single
> Require line ( what ever it may turn out to be even thou it seemed to
> be settled upon on that meeting that was crontab ) so I can start
> working on those components after all you guys are the packaging
> committee and when you signed up for the job you must have assumed
> that your time would be spend on proposal and other related work that
> falls under FPC not just expected to be handed drafts and ack upon
> them?

Well then, the next time I get some free time I'll go ahead and look at the
issue and write up a draft.  Seeing as how I just got enough free time to
write up a filtering draft which was first requested in April 2011, you may
have a multi-year wait.  At the very least, it'll have to wait until after
PyCon, (~2 weeks) and after the .desktop file cleanup (Still ~200 packages)
and after the fedora infra discussion on oauth and I'll probably need to
help with a new FAS, a new python-fedora, and a new pkgdb release by then.

For the most part, the other FPC members do want to receive drafts.  Many
years ago we realized that the FPC members' time did not scale well.  So we
started encouraging people to submit drafts so that we could spend our time
examining and editing those drafts that are submitted rather than having to
start from scratch learning the ins and outs of a problem, determining where
in the guidelines a change would need to be made and which of the ins and
outs of the problem would need to be mentioned in that change.

Some of us still write drafts when there's a particular problem that we feel
affects more people or is more important to the distribution or simply
scratches an itch that we have.  But doing so does take time that we maybe
should have been spending on something else.

So as with everything in Fedora, if you have an itch, doing the work will
get it done faster than relying on someone else who is at least as busy as
you.  If you're lucky, other people will have the same itch and will help
you do it.