[Fedora-packaging] queries about merging 2 packages

Björn Esser bjoern.esser at gmail.com
Sun May 12 13:33:58 UTC 2013

You're welcome.

Putting in Obsoletes/Provides should be the "regular fashion" when
merging or EOL'ing pkgs. It makes things really easier to maintain when
you have to do an in-release update, e.g.: needing to fix security
issues or serious bugs. YUM will purge the merged-in pkg itself and
user's system keeps no leaves and there will be no possible broken deps
on upgrading to the new in-release-version.

The other way round it makes maintaining dependend pkgs even easier,
because things won't break caused by missing deps and having to look how
to get them resolved properly again.

I'm not sure how FEDUP handles such cases on release updates, but I'm
sure Obsoletes/Provides will make things smother in such senarios, too.
At least it will help to cleanup otherwise kept leave-pkgs.

And don't forget to put in proper O/P into possible -devel-pkgs, too.

Cheers,
  Björn