[Fedora-packaging] SCL Easy questions: metapackage deps

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 19:05:54 UTC 2013

In an attempt to get things done outside of the meeting :-)...

People seem to be telling me things about metapackage deps that aren't in
the draft.  So something needs to be updated there.

Here's the puzzle pieces that I've been given:

metapackage example spec template:

* Main metapackage: Deps on some general scl packages
* SCL Runtime package: deps on scl-utils
* SCL build package: deps on scl-utils-build

metapackage section explanatory text:

* Main metapackage: The draft says the deps are "the packages essential to
  this SCL." but I added that.  Please tell me how to correct this if I am wrong.
* SCL build package: it says the dep on scl-utils-build is a should, not  a must

mmaslano:
* The main metapackage requires scl-utils-build and the build package
  requires the metapackage.

slavek:
* The runtime package must not dep on the main metapackage.  That allows
  people to install only a piece of the SCL.
* The main metapackage installs every general SCL package in the collection
  as well as the SCL runtime package.  (note that this conflicts with the

Remi|Fedora:
* main metapackage has an implicit dep on the -runtime package
  * I finally see where this is implicit.  Each general SCL package has an
    explicit dep on the -runtime package.  As long as the main SCL
    metapackage has a dep on at least one general SCL package, the
    metapackage will implicitly dep on -runtime.  This took me long enough
    to see that I'd lean toward making this explicit or documenting the
    chain of reasoning in the explanatory text.
* the main package is just a metapackage which install most of the
  collection.

geppetto:
* The Fedora SCL Guide documentation says the top level metapackage is
  supposed to be minimal
  : http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Contributor_Documentation/1/html/Software_Collections_Guide/sect-Package_Layout.html

toshio:
* Other packagers (not the scl maintainer) are going to want to create more
  general scl packages that target an scl.  Unless we are going to ban that
  practice it will be hard for the scl metapackage to continuously update as
  more general scl packages are added.

Here's the places that I see as needing to be clarified for me to continue
clarifying this section:

* What is the role of the metapackage?  Does it aim to be complete or
  minimal/essential/some smaller subset?
* Should the -runtime package *only* dep on scl-utils?
* Do we need to add both the dep chain from scl build package to main
  metapackage and main metapackage to scl-utils-build or do we need to
  simply make it explict that the SCL build package depends on
  scl-utils-build?