[Fedora-packaging] SCL discussion at yesterday's meeting, easy stuff

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 15:34:47 UTC 2013

On 11/01/2013 08:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> A straw poll was taken about the filesystem location of SCLs.  A few FPC
> members were willing to use /opt but others were heavily opposed to it.
> Everyone was okay with using /usr/scl (or the plural form /usr/scls).  So
> I think that needs to become the scl root dir (is that the right term?) for
> Fedora.
>
> FPC was okay with the idea that third parties might use /usr/scl as well.
> I didn't bring this up at the meeting but one thing that influences me on
> this is that scls are inherently rpm managed and therefore mixing both our
> scls with third party scls does not seem like the same vendor-OS problem
> that /opt was designed to fix.

I feel the need to add my POV about choosing /usr/scl for SCL prefix.
FHS states: "/usr is the second major section of the filesystem. /usr is
shareable, read-only data. That means that /usr should be shareable
between various FHS-compliant hosts and must not be written to. Any
information that is host-specific or varies with time is stored
elsewhere." [1]

That seems to me like a no-go for having /usr/scl as a prefix for SCLs,
because there surely are packages that need to write some files,
probably not only databases. So I'd also vote for /opt since there are
no such requirements.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY

Honza