[Fedora-packaging] scl_prefix vs _scl_prefix

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 09:04:20 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> I really think it should be defined in scl-foo-build and inherited for
> all the packages of the collection.
>
> Explanation: if I want to build extension for different collections
> from different vendor, I can't rely on default value.
>
> When building another depedent SCL, I also need to know 2 prefix
> (prefix for my collection, and prefix for the used collection).
>
> When building a SCL package using another collection, I will have
> installed (BR) -build for my collection and only -runtime for the used
> collection.
>
> So
> 	in scl-foo-runtime => %_foo_scl_prefix
> 	in scl-foo-build   => %_scl_prefix

Having macros in the -runtime package? Please don't.
- You always have %_scl_prefix (or whatever will that be named) in your -build.
- If you need prefix of the collection that you depend on by
%global %_collection_i_depend_on_scl_prefix `cat /etc/scl/prefixes/collection_i_depend_on`

You can define that in your -build subpackage if you need to use that often.

> Instead of relying on %{_scl_root}%{_root_sysconfigdir}
>
> 	in scl-foo-runtime => %_foo_sysconfigdir
> 	in scl-foo-build   => %_sysconfigdir
>
> So a dependent collection will be able to known where are stored
> 	system config files        %_root_sysconfigdir
> 	collection config files    %_sysconfigdir
> 	dependent scl config files %_foo_sysconfigdir
>
> Yes, this is really a nightmare.

I guess this makes sense and it would be possible to implement this into scl-utils, so that build of metapackage would produce a file containing these macros. The only question is where to place them - the -build is no-go, since that can't be installed when building depending collections.

> So my final thoughts (trying to be pragmatic)
>
> - - we should use a single self contained tree
>
> - - we should use /opt
>
> - - we should use /opt/rh

I don't think so. We should rather get LANANA name for Fedora and use that.

> Regards,
> Remi.

Slavek.

--