[Fedora-packaging] Missing library symbolic links

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Thu Nov 7 03:36:47 UTC 2013

We have noticed a growing trend of the final symbolic link not being
established for libraries. Since the linker auto name mangling breaks
because of this issue it causes the platform to be a problematic
development host. Either the system administrators have to go an
manually establish missing links or build process must be modified to
use full paths to library files. Neither of these solutions are
desirable. We are seeing this with RedHat Enterprise and other
distributions as well.

Question, how long do we think a distribution will be an acceptable
development hosting platform because of this issue? We think this maybe
due to disagreement over what version of a library should be the
default. Taking the current approach is not a good long term solution.
We believe the most current version should be the default and if a
package needs an older version then that package should have to
customize their installation.

This is not a flame, it is meant to be constructive.