[Fedora-packaging] Packages approved without satisfied dependencies

Mattias Ellert mattias.ellert at fysast.uu.se
Tue Nov 12 16:15:19 UTC 2013

tis 2013-11-12 klockan 12:54 +0100 skrev Vít Ondruch:
> Hi,
>
> I see more often then I would like that some packages get pushed into
> Fedora and immediately appears among broken dependencies, since they
> were pushed into Fedora sooner then their dependencies.
>
> So I propose to add one additional bullet into reviewer guidelines [1]:
>
> "Package has to have satisfied all its dependencies prior it is approved."
>
> Hopefully somebody will notice next time during review ....
>

> Vít

This is the wrong place the enforce this. If you want to make sure
uninstallable packages are not pushed, then enforce that uninstallable
packages can not be pushed.

It is not an uncommon case that a packager submits a set of two, three
or even more packages for review that are closely related and pushing
them one at a time would be undesirable or confusing, or in extreme
cases even break things.

In such a case building the complete set using buildroot overrides (i.e.
without pushing the first packages before building the rest) makes very
much sense. The full set is then submitted and pushed as one update,
without causing broken dependencies.

So the place to enforce this is at the time of pushing the packages, not
at the time of approval. Enforcing it at the time of pushing will also
catch the much more disruptive case of broken dependencies caused by
updates of existing packages. (It might not be a good thing to enforce
this in Rawhide though.)

	Mattias