[Fedora-packaging] Should INSTALL file presented in RPM?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 1 14:13:47 UTC 2013

On 01/10/13 14:47, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 27.9.2013 07:08, Christopher Meng napsal(a):
>> Hi,
>>
>> I plan to file tickets(bugs) to notify packagers of including INSTALL
>> files in RPMs. I think we don't have the needs to ship these files for
>> install instructions.
>>
>> Any ideas? If all you agree I will start doing it now.
>
> May be you can consider to add rpmlint warning? Just thinking loud ...

rpmlint has had the 'install-file-in-docs' warning for a long time:

"A file whose name suggests that it contains installation instructions
  is included in the package.  Such instructions are often not relevant
  for already installed packages; if this is the case for this file and
  it does not contain any information that is of interest after the
  package has been built and installed, do not include the file in the
  binary package."

Paul.