[Fedora-packaging] SCL -- buildtime information

Jan Kaluža jkaluza at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 07:36:02 UTC 2013

On 10/08/2013 07:18 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 7.10.2013 22:24, Toshio Kuratomi napsal(a):
>> * Instead we could build for the main Fedora Repo.  If we do this, the
>> spec
>>    file, git repo name, and srpm package name all need to match.  That
>> means
>>    we'd have a separate git-level package for each package+scl
>> combination.
>>    So if we had scl-php5.6 and we needed a php and php-gettext package
>> for it
>>    we'd need separate git-level packages named scl-php5.6-php and
>>    scl-php5.6-php-gettext.
>
> This goes exactly against the basic premise on which SCL were build and
> that is: "The SCL package must be buildable from the very same .spec
> file into regular package as well as SCL package.".

I'm not following SCL in Fedora, but even the first way suggested by
Toshio is against this basic premise. When you have another .spec file
in extra branch, it's not the "very same .spec file" and I actually
don't see any reason why SCL spec file should be buildable as non-SCL
package (unless we decide to build them from "very same branch" -
meaning that you would have single .spec file in "f19" branch and build
it twice - once as SCL and once as normal package). I don't see use-case
for this.

I agree it could be easier to maintain the packages this way, but for
bigger packages like php it's just lot of extra conditionals which makes
the maintenance harder.

If I'm right, this basic premise is SHOULD (not MUST) in current guidelines.