[Fedora-packaging] InitialCC for new packages?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Sep 13 05:32:15 UTC 2013

On 09/13/2013 06:23 AM, Christopher Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In these days this problem are hitting more and more people, I can see
> many SIGs on the page, but is it compulsory/mandatory for all
> packagers to add CC to some SIGs? I can't see any reference in the PG,
> only in Package SCM admin requests page.
I guess you are referring to me having advised several people to adding
InitialCC: perl-sig to their recent perl-packages.

For perl, we have
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Perl
which is documenting what has been existing practice for many years.

All this InitialCC: perl-sig does is to echo all mails the package-owner
receives to the perl-sig mailing-list.
It hereby thus notifyies other perl-package maintainers about
changes/updates/upgrades/bugs with other perl packages and enables them
to jump-in/gap-fill, in cases maintainers are overwhelmed with an issue,
be temporary unavailable or doesn't have the appropriate privileges to
fix an issue.

In other words, this InitialCC: is aiming at encouraging collaborative
maintenance and keeping the zoo of approx. 1500 perl-packages Fedora
carries maintainable.

Ralf