[Fedora-packaging] jquery bundling for new packages

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 05:57:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

My 2 cents,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth
<tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> My plan is to have two parallel installable jquery packages: one for the 2.x
> branch and one for the 1.x branch.  As much as I'd like to skip the latter,
> older IE versions will continue to be the bane of web developers' existence for
> some time to come.  We'll continue to support the 1.x series in Fedora as long
> as jQuery upstream supports it.

JQuery is a library that "often" breaks compatibility (compared to
what I'm used to). Having one version of each branch sounds a bit
restrictive.

> For stuff that needs older jQuery versions, ideally we can patch them to work
> with the latest version.  But for a quick fix, we can get most of them working
> with 1.10 using jquery-migrate [1] with minimal effort.  (All you need is an
> extra <script> tag in most cases.  :-)

This is javascript. The language is too dynamic and permissive for me
to feel comfortable with an automated migration. What if the project
uses some eval magic ? Does it work with both dotted and bracketed
notations ..?

> For stuff that uses really old jQuery versions where even jquery-migrate isn't
> an option (e.g. < 1.6), my first concern is whether upstream is alive in the
> first place.  Because seriously, that stuff is OLD.  We really shouldn't be
> shipping code that was deprecated three years ago!  If upstream is actively
> maintained, then they really need to get with the program.

While I agree with you, I also understand people who don't want to
migrate "just because" when the application is stable. Especially with
a library like jQuery that tends to rapidly deprecate and remove
stuff.