[Fedora-packaging] guidelines for go?

Vincent Batts vbatts at redhat.com
Mon Sep 23 20:43:19 UTC 2013

On 22/09/13 14:34 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 12:07:20AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> I'm beginning to _strongly_ believe that we should follow the debian idea
>> here: https://wiki.debian.org/MichaelStapelberg/GoPackaging and not package
>> pre-compiled Go libraries at all (outside of the standard library).
>
>Update -- "official" debian guidelines are at:
>
>http://pkg-go.alioth.debian.org/packaging.html
>
>(based on the previous link above but more fleshed-out).

so here is something else to vet out, like the work done for the ruby
RPMS. Since there is support API versioning for the go language, how
best to accommodate that in the requires/provides? Currently the
language spec is 'go1', so everything in the 1.x version _will_ comply
to this spec. Eventually they'll have a go2, etc.

Should the 'golang' package have a:
	Provides: golang(release) = 'go1'

The binaries would have a BuildRequires and libraries would Require, to
match the API version?

Take care,
vb