[Fedora-packaging] guidelines for go?

Vincent Batts vbatts at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 14:27:01 UTC 2013

On 23/09/13 22:53 +0200, Dan HorĂ¡k wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:43:19 -0400 Vincent Batts <vbatts at redhat.com> wrote:
>> so here is something else to vet out, like the work done for the ruby
>> RPMS. Since there is support API versioning for the go language, how
>> best to accommodate that in the requires/provides? Currently the
>> language spec is 'go1', so everything in the 1.x version _will_ comply
>> to this spec. Eventually they'll have a go2, etc.
>>
>> Should the 'golang' package have a:
>> 	Provides: golang(release) = 'go1'
>>
>> The binaries would have a BuildRequires and libraries would Require,
>> to match the API version?
>
>and what about the go compiler in the GCC? Its advantage is broader
>architecture support than golang which is x86/x86_64/arm only.

This is something still pretty fuzzy. Anything to compile with gccgo
could use this same idiom, and just add the -I/usr/share/gocode/src
flags as needed.
While gccgo would let folks attempt compiles on mips and others that the
golang compiler does not reach yet, this is considered an exercise of
developers. While we're at reaching multiple arches, the golang compiler
itself can compile windows, osx and bsd binaries from the 'golang' rpm
in fedora. But I'm not sure that need be fully accommodated, since it
would likely be an edge case for a developer. As long as binaries for
linux i686, x86_64 and arm are capable. Right?

Take care,
vb