[Fedora-packaging] Should INSTALL file presented in RPM?

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Fri Sep 27 05:21:04 UTC 2013

Le 27/09/2013 07:08, Christopher Meng a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I plan to file tickets(bugs) to notify packagers of including INSTALL
> files in RPMs. I think we don't have the needs to ship these files for
> install instructions.

If the INSTALL file provides "only" the "build" commands, yes, we don't
have to ship it.

In some case this command is merged in some other file (README...)

Sometime, the INSTALL file provides more explanation (configuration,
environment, test..) and it could make sense to provide it. Of course it
will be better to ask upstream to split it (INSTALL / POST-INSTALL),
but... well...

Sometime, this is part of larger documentation (ex, in
php-bartlett-PHP-CompatInfo, INSTALL.html is part of the upstream doc,
linked from index page, so it doesn't make sense to remove it).

I think, there is so much cases... we don't need to bother packager with
such a minor issue.

Remi.