[Fedora-packaging] Should INSTALL file presented in RPM?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 17:58:19 UTC 2013

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Documentation

| [...] Irrelevant documentation include build instructions, the
| omnipresent INSTALL file containing generic build instructions,
| for example, [...]

;-)

> At times it can also be very
> helpful to understand how the RPM packaging may have deviated from the
> generic instructions or may have applied specific configuration to the
> generic installation instructions.

For that it may need the src.rpm contents, in particular the spec file
and likely the options list of a configure script.

> If the packager felt it was valuable to include the INSTALL file then I
> see no point in mindlessly overriding their discretion and experience.

One cannot tell whether it was included deliberately. During review, it
occurs often that packagers add the file together with other %doc files
in the top source dir without thinking about its contents.

But the response on mass-filed bugs just for this would not be great.
Only few packagers would build and update for Rawhide immediately. In many
more cases, it would take months before a packager would respond. Worse,
if you consider provenpackagers to apply the changes, there's the risk
an INSTALL file will be readded with a future upgrade, because a packager
disagrees or adds other new doc files as well.