[Fedora-packaging] Soft dependencies guidelines

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Aug 25 10:29:55 UTC 2014

On 08/25/2014 12:20 PM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Hi,
> rpm 4.12, which include soft dependencies landed in F21.
First of all, we would need to have a list of precise, detailed
definitions of these "soft dependencies" to build up an opinion.

For now the status is: Soft deps are strictly prohibited.

> Are there plan to reflect this in our current Packaging Guidelines? Or
> we will wait till this feature will be recognized by dnf, PackageKit and
> others?
Well, technically, all back and front ends must treat them identically
otherwise Fedora will "end up in smoke".

Ralf