[Fedora-packaging] Interesting blog on simplifying packaging for OS bootstrapping

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Dec 22 09:46:29 UTC 2014

On 12/22/2014 10:15 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 20.12.2014 v 18:55 Jason L Tibbitts III napsal(a):
>> So I stumbled upon this blog post:
>>
>> http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/12/19/bootstrapping-power8-little-endian-and-common-pitfalls/
>>
>> and there are a few things in there which seem like they might be good
>> to incorporate into our packaging guidelines, or perhaps into our
>> tooling (rpm up through mock and koji).  Random thoughts follow.
>>
>> Dependency minimization is obviously a big one; we struggle with this.
>> Build-time dependency minimization is far more difficult.
>
> First step is to have really minimal build root. For me that means to
> get rid of Perl from it. I hope that Perl guys are slowly working on
> fixing their packages.

To me, what you say is a religious statement, which doesn't have any
immediate benefits, but already has shown its harmful nature because is
already is causing malfunctions.

On a wider scope, I'd agree to gradually minimizing Fedora's buildroots,
which would mean to gradually remove implicit package deps and making
package requirements more explicit.

So, why not remove all scripted languages from buildroots and require
them to be explicitly BR:'d and R:'ed?

Ralf