[Fedora-packaging] Interesting blog on simplifying packaging for OS bootstrapping

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Dec 22 18:16:44 UTC 2014

VO> I agree with these of course. And I'd go one step further and remove
VO> also gcc, gcc-c++ and make.

To be honest, I also think it's time to do this.  We should have nothing
in the buildroot that doesn't absolutely have to be there, and I'm sure
it would be easier for ordering complete rebuilds if the dependencies
were all completely specified.

And as to religious arguments, I like Perl.  I've written probably over
a third of a million lines of Perl.  And I still think it should be
removed from the buildroot, just because I don't like waiting for
koji to install unnecessary packages just so I can do a scratch build.

 - J<