[Fedora-packaging] Using SCLs for ROS releases vs simply dumping them into /opt/ros/$ros-release

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 09:27:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 19:49 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> If it is a Fedora package, then it should integrate into the system
> directories. If it is a third-party package that doesn't follow
> Fedora's packaging standards, then this is what /opt is for. "ros" is
> registered as a provider name for the Open Source Robotics Foundation
> (http://www.lanana.org/lsbreg/providers/providers.txt), so if that's
> the ROS we're talking about, then /opt/ros is right.

Yes. That's the ROS we're talking about.

> That doesn't answer the question about SCLs though.

So, in the future, are SCLs going to be "Fedora packages" that we serve
from our repos via koji/bodhi? Or, are we going to continue serving them
off copr and other places?

From all the talk about Fedora.next and the rings and the SCL guidelines
etc., I *thought* we'd include SCLs in the Fedora repos.

I talked this over with the robotics SIG and the SCL mailing list. Even
though just placing files in /opt/ros/{release} seems OK, SCLs are a
much cleaner way to go. I'm pushing stuff to a copr repo for the time
being.
--
Thanks again,
Warm regards,