[Fedora-packaging] Using SCLs for ROS releases vs simply dumping them into /opt/ros/$ros-release

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Sat Feb 8 15:08:58 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:27:54PM +1100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 19:49 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> > If it is a Fedora package, then it should integrate into the system
> > directories. If it is a third-party package that doesn't follow
> > Fedora's packaging standards, then this is what /opt is for. "ros" is
> > registered as a provider name for the Open Source Robotics Foundation
> > (http://www.lanana.org/lsbreg/providers/providers.txt), so if that's
> > the ROS we're talking about, then /opt/ros is right.
>
> Yes. That's the ROS we're talking about.
>

> > That doesn't answer the question about SCLs though.
>
> So, in the future, are SCLs going to be "Fedora packages" that we serve
> from our repos via koji/bodhi? Or, are we going to continue serving them
> off copr and other places?
>
> From all the talk about Fedora.next and the rings and the SCL guidelines
> etc., I *thought* we'd include SCLs in the Fedora repos.
>
> I talked this over with the robotics SIG and the SCL mailing list. Even
> though just placing files in /opt/ros/{release} seems OK, SCLs are a
> much cleaner way to go. I'm pushing stuff to a copr repo for the time
> being.

Looking at http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/cottsay/rosrpm-poc/monitor/ which
is I guess the copr repo mentionned here, I've got to ask, what does SCL bring
you in this case compared to normal packages installing in the standard places?

I do realize that's quite a number of packages but SCLs are not designed (at
least as far as I understood it) to replace the process of adding packages that
could be added in the fedora repo.

I don't see any specific gcc, python, ruby that would make using SCLs sensible
(as in the version provided by Fedora does not work/is too recent to build these
packages).

As a side note, I see RPMFusion is required for the build, so that will remain a
no-go for Fedora, SCLs or not.

Regards,
Pierre